I can honestly say that I've never heard of Mango upside down cake before. Then I saw it on someone's post one time and it was in my mind ever since. The only problem was I forgot to get the recipe from that site and I don't remember which site it was. So with having the urge to eat such cake, I had to use one of my fave Pineapple upside down cake and it tasted just as good.
Lay the sliced mango's on the bottom with the brown sugar and butter
Fold the egg whites with the batter.
Pour the batter on top of the mango and bake.
Let it cool for a good 2-5 minutes before you invert it onto a plate and enjoy!
Here's the RECIPE:
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 2 - 3 medium to large size mango (sliced)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mango juice or concentrated juice
- Whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and margarine; blend well. Spread in bottom of ungreased 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange mango slices over brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add sugar; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, salt and mango juice; mix well.
- In another small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold (NOT MIX) into batter. Pour batter evenly over mango slices.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upright in pan 2 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream.