Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ube Cupcake with Ube buttercream frosting - Recipe


In the Philippines, the purple ube variety of yam (Dioscorea alata, also known in India as ratalu or violet yam) is eaten as a sweetened dessert called halaya, and is also an ingredient in another Filipino dessert, halo halo.
I've never made this so it didn't turn out as I thought it would. At least I tried it and, yes, I will try it again. The buttercream on the other hand was super delish. It tasted like Ube, at least I thought so. LOL!

I'm posting the recipe just because, but I will keep tweaking it if I make it again. I want the cupcake to really taste like Ube. MAybe I have to put more Ube yam next time or use the grated ube.

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 1 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
  • 2 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 1/2 pandan extract
  • 3 large whole eggs, plus 1 egg white
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 Jar (12 oz.) purple yam
  • Purple coloring

Direction:
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
  • With an electric mixer or stand mixer, on medium high. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the extract and mix well. Add whole eggs and the white, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk, and beating until well combined. Add purple yam and mix well.
(In my kitchen Aid, I have a BEATER BLADE, I got it for Christmas a few years ago and it's the best thing that ever. NO more stopping every time you add an ingredients. This thing scrapes the side of your bowl for you.)
  • Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway though, until golden and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes, turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored up to 1 day at room temperature in airtight container.
  • To finish, fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open star tip (Wilton 8B) with the buttercream frosting.

Ube Buttercream:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
  • 1 cup ube yam
  • 1 tsp. pandan extract
  • purple coloring
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • milk (You have to eyeball this, approx. 6-10 tbsp. milk)
Direction:
  • Cream the butter well.
  • Add the ube yam and pandan extract, mix well. Add the pandan extract, mix well.
  • Add powdered sugar carefully or you will end up like me (see picture below).
  • Slowly add 1 tbsp. of milk at a time until the consistency you want is achieved.
  • Pipe on the cupcake and store or enjoy!
Bloopers??? Yes, I had a messy mess when it was time to make the frosting. LOL! I was going to turn it off but my finger slipped and it turned the mixer on instead.



clairebakescakes

17 comments:

  1. omg claire, got so many recipes to try from your collection. unsaon nako pagniwang ani oy hehehe. keep up the blog bakerella hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, it happened to me too nakaligo ko ug flour when i accidentally turned it to high instead of turning it off. scary right, it could happen to driving, pumping up the accelerator instead of the brakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, sigi na dayon. GEt to it kay para maka try na dayon sa tanan hehehhee.

    Mao jud ahak lang, I had sugar all over the place including me. Hehhehe!!! NGek, I hope I don't do that hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just made this ube buttercream and you're right. it is delish. i dont think i would use it on an entire cake just because it is a little on the sweeter side. the ube itself is already sweet but other than that. it's yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mary B.
    Thank you! I'm glad you tried it. It is a bit sweet but still good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was searching for an "ube cupcake" recipe and found your blog - yippee! I can't wait to try this...it looks delish! Now, I'm wondering if you ever heard or have tried (& I just have not found it on your blog) making/baking a leche flan flavored cupcake or even a bibinka flavored cupcake? Those are my fave pinas dessert and am curious how they would work in a cupcake ...hmmm :a , from a fellow pinas foodie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claire,
    Thank you so much for posting these recipes. I have been meaning to make ube cupcakes with a nice ube frosting. I googled it and found your blog. Thank you so much. I shall make them this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Claire,
    Just wanted you to know that I tried your recipe tonight. They turned out so well. I need to use more purple food coloring though, other than that it was awesome. Thank you. I also shared your recipe to a very good friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these cupcakes today; I just cut the recipe in half but I still used the full jar of ube and they came out perfect and delicious! My whole family is raving about them. I made them with a coconut buttercream frosting. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Daisy! I'm glad you liked it. I'm happy to know that you guys are trying the recipes out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous, thank you! Make sure you try and check out the other recipes I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to make this, but I've never eaten purple yam. What does it taste like? Is the flavor overwhelming? I'm making a cake for a potluck tomorrow and would love to have purple frosting on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought a jar and I'm going to try this out for a Halloween party, I couldn't find pandan extract, so I'll just sub vanilla or coconut extract.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Claire! It's a blessing to find your Ube Butter cream frosting. I just made, for the first time today, ube cake from All Recipes, but the frosting is sooo runny, I had a hard time keeping it on the cake. I have to try your Buttercream recipe next time, and I'll tell you about it. Btw, taga-asa ka sa Pilipinas? Lingaw ko kay nag-bisaya ka man gud. Taga- Negros Oriental ako.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Samitestar, Ohh! I've never tried it with coconut extract yet. Let me know how it taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous :-)
    I can't wait to know how the outcome with your frosting. Make sure you let me know if you liked it or not. I was born sa Iligan City, Mindanao. BIsaya pa jud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ay ka nindot! Murag lami kaayo! Unya salamat kaayo sa post ate! :D

    ReplyDelete

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails