Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hamburger / Cheeseburger Cake - Recipe


Ever since I learned how to make pretty looking cakes, my best friend has asked me to make a cake for her daughter. This would be the 3rd time  I've made her cake. The first one was the Dino Cake and the other one was the Tom and Jerry Cake. The Tom and Jerry cake, I would say is the hardest cake I've ever made. I have baked a lot but I still consider myself a novice baker. I wasn't really sure on what to do with this cake. I avoid working with fondant because of my carpal tunnel. Good thing I saw a post using just butter cream frosting. You wouldn't believe how happy I was. I actually did a happy dance. LOL!

For the top and bottom I used a regular yellow cake. For those who do not have time to make from scratch you could always use a cake from the box. For those who prefer the scratch version here's the recipe.

What you need: (This is for the bun)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
What you need to do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans or use Baker's Joy Spray. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped and a bit golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.(Make sure you don't turn the top side, the one you will be using as top bun onto the cooling racks, or it will have the indentations from the rack.)

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you need: (This is for the burger part - Chocolate cake)
  • 2 oz. Baker's bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup strong-brewed coffee
  • 1 cup buttermilk 
Direction:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Spray a 2 - 8 inch round pans with flour spray. Since you're only using 1 of the chocolate cake, only if you want, make the other one into cake balls. In a small saucepan, melt 2 ounces of the chopped chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Scrape the chocolate into a medium bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the oil and sugar until smooth, then whisk in the egg.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture along with 1/2 cup of the coffee and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk; whisk until smooth. Add the remaining dry ingredients, coffee and buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
  3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cake cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn it out and let cool completely.

When all the cake have rested and cooled down. You can start putting them together.  Start with the bottom yellow cake and then add your colored frosting in. I thought I over did the frosting but the birthday girl actually loved the cake. I was happy and they were happy. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture with the birthday girl, 'coz I didn't make it to her party :-(

~~ Thanks for stopping by and make sure you say Hi ~~

2 comments:

  1. Nice jud sya kaayo pretty lady C oi.. love it! Mura pod sya ug tru burger and not a cake. hehehehe.. Yum!

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the recipe! Adore your site and am in awe of your photography:-) Nice job! Gonna make this for a friends birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails