Monday, February 11, 2013

How to make your own Homemade Laundry Soap - DIY (Updated 7/16/13)



** Update 7/16/13 **
The first batch I made lasted about 6 months. When I transferred the soap into the jugs I only filled them halfway and added warm water. If you love your soap to be thick and sudsy, then this won't work for you since it's a bit watery and no suds at all. Then think about it. Does suds = clean? I think not. I washed my clothes both ways (regular soap and with this and it came out the same) Well, less soapy smell but clean. Unless you work somewhere filthy then this is perfect. I love it and even my mom who loves her suds ask for more jugs LOL!

This was on my list about 2 years ago and never really made it. Then last week I saw my cousin posted this SITE on her wall and it made me want to make the homemade soap again. So homemade soap we made, well, I made. 


The site is The Homestead Survival and she's got some pretty cool stuff on her site. You should go check it out.


I just copied everything that's needed from her video. I didn't see it written on her site. So here it is. 


Stuff you need:



1 bar Fels-naptha soap (Any soap can be used)
1 box of BORAX
1 box of ARM & Hammer Super washing soda
1 bottle of Tea tree oil
1 5 gallon bucket (walmart or home depot has them with lid)
funnel

WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE SOAP:
1 bar Fels-naptha soap (shredded)
1 cup BORAX
1 CUP Washing soda
2 tbsp. tea tree oil



WHAT TO DO:

* Make sure whatever material or utensil you use on making the soap, will only be used for this and should not be used for food. I used an old pot to mix the soap and same with the grater ( I used the old one).
  1. Heat a big pot with 6 cups of water on simmer (not boiling) hot enough to melt the soap. Add shredded soap and stir to make sure it melts, about 5-7 minutes.
  2. Pour into the 5 gallong bucket that's half filled with warm water. Stir well. ADD the cup of borax and stir well. ADD cup washing soda and stir well again. Add the tea tree oil.
  3. Fill the bucket with more warm water and let it sit for 24 hours.
  4. 24 hours later and you can stir it and mix it well. It will be gel like. Mix it until it comes to liquid again. You can then transfer them to your jugs or leave it in the bucket. If you have jugs or empty bottles use them 'coz it's a pain in the butt to leave in the bucket since you have to stir and mix it every time you use it.
  5. If you do transfer it to the jugs you can fill it halfway and add warm water to dilute it or just use as it is.









If you use the mixture from the bucket without diluting it then use half a cup, if you dilute it then you can use a cup.


*Just make sure you shake the bottle in every use 
If you want to know more info and see her video, click HERE.



1 comment:

  1. You just inspired me to finally try making this!

    Hope it's good enough for hubby's tough grease. I don't worry much with my laundry, or the boys'.

    ReplyDelete

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails