This is one of my most favorite treat when I was little and it's super easy to make. I found these in New Jersey when we went to visit my brother I bought one in the Filipino bakery house. I almost ate the entire thing. The only problem is that it was almost $20 bucks for a roll. So my mission was to find a recipe and I found it. Kusina ni Manang was one of the recipe sites that I've followed a while back. She has the most easiest recipe for this Pianono roll.
*Note, I copied the recipe from HER site. I did change / added something to her instruction a bit.
- 6 egg whites
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp sifted flour
- To 6 egg whites beaten until stiff, add the following by spoonfuls, beating well after each addition 6 tablespoons sugar, then add 6 yolks of eggs (well beaten).
- Blend well. Cut and fold into the mixture: 6 tablespoons sifted flour Pour into a jelly roll pan lined with greased paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Turn out on another sheet of paper sprinkled with sugar. Remove paper lining, then roll while it's still warm. Cover with towel and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Unroll and spread the Ube cream cheese filling. Serve and enjoy!
Ube Creamcheese Filling:
- 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 - 2 cups confectioner sugar
- 2 tsp. ube flavored or pandan flavored extract
- purple gel coloring until desired color is reached