Sunday, August 18, 2013

Where did the Pigs in the mud go? Cake / Recipe




Here it is. I've seen the original photo (BELOW) on facebook and all over the web and I have no idea who the original maker is. Thank you to the original maker, who I couldn't find.


I did see the link from HERE. Although they shared the recipe for the cake and how to make it, I used my own recipe and chocolate buttercream frosting and the ganache.

Since the outside of the cake is a chocolate overload I made the cake vanilla. If you don't like to bake from scratch you can use any type of boxed cake as well and it goes the same as the frosting, use the store bought.

Here's the Magnolia Vanilla cake recipe:
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup self rising flour
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs (room temperature)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
What to do:
  1. Pre heat oven at 350F
  2. Sift the flour together and stir.
  3. Cream the butter on a stand up mixer until smooth, add sugar gradually until fluffy. 
  4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until combined. Scrape the bowl so it's mixed in well.
  6. Grease 2 - 9 inch round pan or 2 - 8 inch square pan and divide the batter into the 2 pans.
  7. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool and frost.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now for the chocolate buttercream:
  • 1 stick softened butter
  • 1/2 cup dutch coco powder
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • heavy cream **
** I don't measure how much I put on my buttercream. I go by consistency. I do start out with 2 tbsp. and work my way up until desired consistency is reached.

What to do:
  1. Place the butter in a standing mixer and cream.
  2. Add the coco powder and mix well.
  3. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
  4. Add the powdered sugar and mix. Start adding the heavy cream and keep mixing until your desired consistency is reached.  Keep mixing until smooth (on low / medium speed).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For the ganache:
  • 8 oz. Baker's square (semi -sweet) chocolate
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tsp. butter (optional for shine)
~~~~~
  1. Chop chocolate squares.
  2. Heat the whipping cream in a pan until warm.
  3. Place chopped chocolate in a medium size bowl slowly pour the warm whipping cream while stirring.
  4. Stir until melted and starting to look glossy.
  5. Add the butter if you want it to look more glossy.
  6. Let it sit for an hour or 2 (DO NOT place on the fridge)
  7. When the consistency is a little bit harder than pudding then it's all ready to place on top of the cake.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sorry, I swear this cake doesn't take that long to make. The ingredients and how to's are making it long. 

So the good part. This is where you will be putting the cake together. I apologize for not taking photos. I didn't have any time since I was super tired and sleepy.

Frost like you would a regular cake. Place some frosting in the middle and top and then do the sides at the end.  For this cake I used Kit Kat bars, I believe I used 6 or 7 kit kat bars (the regular one, NOT the snack size). I'm pretty sure you can use whatever you want. I've seen chocolate covered pretzels, pretzel sticks, lady fingers, etc....

When all the kit kat bars are in place, you can take a pretty little ribbon or big ribbon and tie around the cake to hold the candy bars. When everything is in place, that's when you add the ganache on top and then place your piggies or any farm animal that would make the cake prettier.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails