Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I sanded the crap out of her desk!!! Before & After makeover PART 1

    

For the past year I've been talking to my daughter about redoing her room. It finally happened last weekend. Her Lala took her to New Jersey to visit her uncle, my brother.I was super excited and she was double excited for the fact that she's visiting her cousins, Uncle and Aunties & the fact that her room will be all new when she comes home.

For the 12 years we've lived in our house this is the 2nd time I've done her room. Ones when she was a baby and now that she's transitioning into a young girl. Oh how time flies :-(

So all this excitement got me all pumped up and hopefully get the room all done within 3 days. I wasn't really thinking that it will be hard work and lots of moving, sanding, taping, laying out the cloth all over the floor so the paint won't get paint splatter all over her carpeted floor. PHEW!!! 

If you ask me to redo her room again I would probably say HECK NO! at least for another 10 years. LOL!

Her desk was the 2nd thing that I did. The first one was her wall and window sill (will do another blog about that wall).
 

As you can see her desk was badly scratched, beat up and the top varnish are all scraped up. Good thing hubby bought me my very first RYOBI sander. I picked it when we went to Home Depot last week.


 
The very first thing I did was scraped the top part with a sharp putty knife and scraped the crap out of that desk. I swear my right arm has more muscles than my left after that scraping. LOL! 




After all those scraping, I moved to the sanding part. That was fun. I could and would sand anything if I could. YuP! getting a bit obsessed with my new sander.


Then I washed all the sand off with a wet cloth and I had to wipe it a couple of times because of the dust. Then I moved onto priming the desk. I thought one coat would have done the job, but boy I was wrong UGH!


Painted the outside parts and the back of the desk because I can't leave it dark. It just felt weird. It took me a while to get it all painted, but while it was drying I worked on some other stuff in her room.



This is the corner room where I placed the desk and wall decal that I bought at a yard sale for $3 and it was still in the original tin can and unopened. (photo below)

I added a little color to the room by painting the middle part of the DOOR with a blue chalkboard paint, sorry I took the photo before I painted this side of the room / door. Both sides of the door are painted with chalkboard paint.

As you can see the wall is light grey. I know, it's sooo pretty and so grown up. Wait till you see her door and her bed. Oh and the curtain. Gaaaahh! I messed up on the curtain but I will tell you about it some other time. 
~~~
Desk - repainted 
Chair - Target
Wall decor - yard sale
Paint - Behr
Sander - Ryobi  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails