Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Flo (Zebra pattern cake with pink)

6 months ago my cousin Flo and I were talking about cakes and she asked me if I could make her cake for her birthday. I was laughing because it won't be for another 6 months. She said, I'm just saying, you're making it, LOL!

6 months later it's time to make her the cake. We found one that was zebra pattern with pink stuff and she said that's the one. So I had to make a different version since I haven't made one with this pattern before. If you look at the picture the pattern is not as close as I wanted it to be, so the next one I'm making will be different.

Anyway, here's the cake and check out what happened to my hands. Don't play with red food gels. LOL!
You will need cake layers. You can use any cake you like. She wanted vanilla and I ended up making 3 (8" cake pan) with lots of domes, which I took off (just wait and see what I will do with the cake scrap).
Cover with buttercream frosting and make it smooth. Then wait 15 - 20 minutes for it to crust.
Grab a paper towel, use Viva if you don't want indentations on your cake or you can use wax paper like I did.

If you make something with red color make sure to wash your hands right away or you will end up with pink hands.
All done and ready for pick up. It turned good and I think she likes her cake, LOL! Actually, she might have forgot about her cake and was more into the Polvoron I made.


So the scrap??? I'm making a cherry cake balls dipped in chocolate right now and will post the outcome tomorrow :-)

Wishing everyone a Happy St. Patricks Day and hope everyone is having a great weekend.
clairebakescakes

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this cake, Claire! My 4-year-old is a HUGE zebra print fan and would go nuts over this for her birthday. I'll have to experiment! Thanks for the great idea and keep baking - you're truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much :-)
    When you do make it, make it so the stripes are closer. Mine needs to be closer next time I make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Ate! this is really pretty...
    i envy you coz you're so good at it already. did you use MMF? i don't know but i really have a hard time using it on big cakes man gud[i get frustrated when it tears] that's why i don't like making big cakes. :D
    your hand photo also reminds me of mine when i made two dozen cupcakes in a rush. the food colors were splattering on the table! the products came out good but i delivered the goodies personally with blue and green hands. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmilord, Claire! Your header photo alone made my mouth water! It's so comforting to see you still cooking and baking and doing all sorts of domestic stuff. I hardly ever do anymore — not since I got promoted two years ago, which basically means more work and less home time. Ah well. But don't worry, it's something I like doing.

    I have all three of your blogs in my feed now. I don't like using the follow thing — too much like social networking, which was why I left Multiply in the first place. And I don't have FB until now, hahaha!

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails