Sunday, January 24, 2010

Venison Calderita (Filipino style Stew)


Description:
This recipe and direction is if you will make your stew with this kind of meat or any gamey tasting meat. If you are making it with beef then you don’t need to do all the before prep.

NOTE: It's necessary to boil the venison twice so the taste won't be so gamey. If you've had venison before, the taste is much stronger than a beef. If you don't mind the taste then you don't have to boil it twice. Boiling the meat twice or even 3 times will make the meat more tender and the taste of the venison is no longer recognizable. If you don’t mind the taste then you don’t have to go through all the process of boiling.

Ingredients:
1 lb. Venison, cut beef stew style
1 can pineapple chunk (drain, don't throw it drink it hehehehhe)
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup carrots
1 cup potato
1/2 cup red pepper
1 onion sliced
garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Boil deer meat for 30 minutes, drain and place deer meat back in the pot.
2. Boil it again (SEE NOTE) till tender, then drain.
3. Saute onion, garlic and red pepper.
4. Add carrots and potato and just enough water so it won't get too dry and something to cook the carrots and potato.
5. When carrots and potato are tender, add meat back in the pot, tomato sauce and pineapple.
Salt and pepper to taste, then simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot over rice.

LITTLE STORY ABOUT ME AND DEER MEAT:
Before I was pregnant with my first child I used to eat deer meat. The moment I got pregnant I could not stand it, 6 years later I still hate it. So last year Josh got a deer and my aunt asked for some meat. So anyway weeks later, mom comes over and as usual she brings food with her. One of the food she brought was caldereta, so we started to eat and wow I must have ate the whole thing coz it was gone. So after dinner she comes up to me and said " I thought you don't eat deer " waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa she had me. I swear I did not taste a hint of deer on that meat and I usually do. So I still don't eat deer and I make sure that I ask first before I eat. I guess my Aunt pepsi who made this boiled the meat 3 times before she started putting all the rest of the ingredients in.

clairebakescakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Away

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails